It is important for a property to make the best possible impression on prospective buyers. The following can interfere with a buyer's appreciation of a property:
Lawn needs mowing and edging
Untrimmed hedges and shrubs
Dead and dying plants
Grease or oil spots on the driveway
Anything that looks old or worn
- Worn carpets and drapes
- Soiled windows, kitchen, baths
- Pet and smoking odors
- Peeling paint, smudges or marks on walls
A comparatively small investment in time, money and effort to remove these distractions can lead to stronger offers from buyers.
SHOW OFF YOUR HOME — EVERY TIME!
These tips can help your house make the best impression, every time it is previewed by sales professionals or shown to prospective buyers:
- Remove toys, newspapers, yard tools and other clutter.
- Tidy up; pick up after pets.
- Park vehicles in the garage or on the street; leave the driveway clear.
- Add color with flowers and potted plants.
- Make beds; clean up dishes; empty wastebaskets.
- Remove clutter throughout; organize closets and cupboards; put away toys.
- Set out "show towels" in baths.
- Freshen the air; potpourri or baked bread aroma; deodorize pet areas; set comfortable temperature.
- Do quick vacuuming and dusting.
- Arrange fresh flowers throughout.
- Fire in fireplace (when appropriate).
- Turn off television; play soft background music.
- Open drapes and shades; turn on lights.